Saturday, November 12, 2011

Back to blogging?


2011-20012 Lady Vols

I am hopeful that I can spend more time keeping this blog up to date.  The new season of Lady Vols Basketball begins tomorrow.  We will open with a game against Pepperdine University and from the pre-season games I don't see a challenge.  These 2011-2012 Lady Vols are committed and ready to bring home a ninth national championship. 

The news about Coach Summitt was devastating.  It really through me for a loop and realizing that Pat and I are only a few months apart in age caused me to look at my own mortality.  It is a frightening thing when the end of your life is looming much closer than the beginning. Coach is a fighter and she will struggle with this illness until it is either cured or it takes her mind like it has so many before her.  I am also a fighter and will not go gentle into that dark night.  Yet, as all of us must realize at some point we are not immortal.  With the news of Coach Summitt, Mrs. Barber, (a mentor for me), and Miss Hill (a dear friend) all struggling with demons of age and illness, I realize that this basketball season is going to be one that I will enjoy and savour like a fine red wine. 

So here is to the new season and new commitments.  Go Lady Vols.  Strive for Nine.

No comments:

Post a Comment